Friday, April 11, 2008

Stay With Me

I think I like about two songs from the hitmaking songwriting/production team of Stock, Aitken and Waterman (SAW). Meaning their record with me is like... two for a billion. Seriously, whether or not this hit machine makes songs you like, you've got to respect the sheer numbers of their catalog. Yowsers.

So that brings me to Canton, an Italo group whose 1984 single Sleepwalking I hold so dear (check here for that). Despite this SAW produced collaboration working out splendidly, even the all powerful SAW team couldn't turn these snappy dressers into a hit group. I think the reason for their failure is the fact that they also had a song called Please Don't Stay. The mainstream public obviously disapproved of their inability to make a decision and stick to it. Or maybe it was just those awful jackets.

Canton- Stay With Me

For the curious, the other SAW song I like is Kylie Minogue's Got to Be Certain. Actually, make that three, I totally forgot about Rick Astley.

3 comments:

Corby Tender said...

ha! It could also be their hair, but I'm guessing it was the overall shitty looks on their faces that nobody could get past.
Great song though!

Anonymous said...

So you don't like Mel & Kim or Mel or Kim?

seandonson said...

Not too much actually. Still friends though?