Tuesday, December 18, 2007

On Horseback

Winter's here. The holidays are here. I for one, am psyched. I love the crisp air, the smells, sitting by sources of intense heat, the taste of a fine beer while inhaling that pine tree scent. Ah. But the one thing I love more than all these things is Mike Oldfield's On Horseback.

Slipped in quietly at the end of his epic (aren't they all Mikey?) Ommadawn, On Horseback is inspired by Mike's horseback rides around Hergest Ridge with a few of the musicians from the Ommadawn sessions. Wow, thanks Wikipedia. I loved it regardless of season until my lovely lady said one day, "Well yeah its good, but its a Christmas song". Okay, maybe it's not technically a Christmas song, but at the very least its a winter song. I hear this softly played acoustic guitar, sparkling bells and chorus of children and can't help but feel the snow brush my face as my horse (big brown beasty!) guides me through still and glittering woods.

No comments: